I think it's time for Miller to start Baker over Smith

Started by WILD, January 13, 2020, 11:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

Smith was 0-6 and fouled an Oregon State 3 point shooter twice. Baker had a quiet 10 points. I think it's time to start Baker over Smith. Check the stats below.

TennesseeCat36

I would be all for that and want that but Miller isn't going to do that and I'm sure Smith and Jeter will be starting Thursday night. I would like to see Mannion Baker Green Gettings and Zeke

grantj22

Definitely time for a change in the starting line up. Pretty tired of watching Smith and Jeter Screw up.

arxpert

We are lacking 4 or 5 players who can play 30 minutes per game so we can't shorten the lineup down to 8 players like we need to. There is no way to do it without looking bad somewhere. I would be fine with Baker getting 30 minutes and just riding with him and 2-9 type nights as long as the volume from Nico/Zeke/Green is also increased.

Josh Green doing a lot of hard work, but FG attempts need to come way more frequently. He isn't the 4th man on this team and to even think that someone like Baker or Dylan are alpha dogging him out of possessions makes Green sound extremely soft which we know he isn't. (And no one can say Miller is telling Green he isn't allowed to shoot the ball or ask for it)

Leading the team in minutes overall and last night with 32 minutes.
1st half: FG attempts with 17:56, 14:47, 9:50, 1:07
2nd half: FG attempts with 16:35, 13:40, 12:46, 7:24, 4:31, 1:47 -- (Nico was effectively benched basically from somewhere around 5min left in the game)

Its just food for thought. Ive been labeled a Green Hater for saying i've noticed he disappears on offense often for long stretches. But here is some proof in the pudding i guess.

01Cats

We need more effort plays. Smith and Jeter are both seniors playing on likely their last meaningful basketball of their careers. If they don't want it bad enough... let's move on and hope we can get some effort. Also I don't understand why Ira hasn't gotten any run lately. Guy plays his ass off. He's our strongest most athletic player imo. Regularly guards guys 5-6 inches taller than he is and handles his own.

Eurozona

I don't think those stats don't tell the who story. Baker's defense was extremely bad and Smith was probably our best defender against OSU. I'll take defense over offense all day.

Bear

Every time I look at Baker's stats, I wonder how he ended up so close to Dylan because it seems he has had far more poor games than good ones.  Dylan has had a couple bad games but overall he has done exactly what he needed to.  Hit some big 3s and played defense.

If the stats tell the whole story, we should also bench Nico for Baker as Baker has a better a:to and 3p%. 

If this was the Smith from last year and we didn't need Baker to spell Mannion, this might not even be up for debate, probably would have happened already.

2012Cat

Bakers defense was so bad. However Dylan is so bad all around. I'd choose baker

arxpert

The only reason we keep seeing Dylan is because he is actually taking initiative. Eventhough its mixed results. Like Oregon he was 3-4 from 3 i think with a huge 3 toward the end. Yes missed a FT, but Zeke missed 3, CK Loko missed 1. It's just the overall desire to try to make plays. It's not preferred over seeing Nico force it more or Green attack. Can't really say Zeke isn't working cuz he is performing with Double and Triple teams in the post. Miller has effectively declared "If you want the spot, play better than the person who has it now besides Nico, Green, Zeke". If Hazzard, Baker can't knock Dylan out of the lineup that is on them. Gettings is knocking Jeter's minutes off already. Along with a slight increase to CK Loko who is doing well with his raw progression, but clearly was outmatched/out physicaled by the thicker ogres of Oregon State the other night.

So in summary -- Someone has to play. If no one is convincing enough to knock Dylan out of his spot there's really no reason to keep talking about it. Miller gave Baker and Hazzard 18 min each vs Oregon State and they did nothing with it to stay on the court.

Blafresh

At this point, Dylan Smith is a better defender than Baker. I am sick and tired of opponents blowing by Baker's non-existent defense. Yes Smith is a bonehead for always fouling the 3pt shot but is the lesser of 2 evils on defense imo.

The OSU stats are inflated as Baker hit 1-2 of his 3pters when the game was out of reach. Also how does Baker have 0 assists in 17 minutes? Dylan Smith hit some clutch 3pters in the Oregon game. I say Dylan should play more than Baker mostly because of defense but only shoot the 3 if he is wide open and in motion.

BearDownU - Menu