Your 2020-21 Arizona Wildcats!

Started by mvpreed2, April 28, 2020, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvpreed2

I know that this pandemic has a lot of our favorite leisure activities in limbo, but it is still nice to be able to see what our roster is going to look like, don't you agree?
Here is how our roster looks after the commitment of F Tibet Goerner:

Position/Name/Class
G - James Akinjo (RS Soph)
G - Jemarl Baker II (RS Junior)
C - Daniel Batcho (Freshman)
F - Jordan Brown (RS Soph)
G - Terell Brown II (Senior)
F - Tibet Gorener (Freshman)
C - Christian Koloko (Soph)
G - Kerr Kriisa (Freshman)
F - Ira Lee (Senior)
G/F - Ben Mathurin (Freshman)
G/F - Dalen Terry (Freshman)
G - Brandon Williams (Soph)*

Class and availability here are still in question for 2020-21 season
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

mvpreed2

I was not a math major, but this will leave us with five available scholarships for 2021-22 season.
We will have two seniors (Brown/Lee) and three open spots left that have not yet been filled.
I would like to see Miller sit on these unless he is going to bring in some transfers that are not going to be eligible until the 2021-22 season.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

UAlum

Quote from: mvpreed2 on April 28, 2020, 02:10:21 PM
I was not a math major, but this will leave us with five available scholarships for 2021-22 season.
We will have two seniors (Brown/Lee) and three open spots left that have not yet been filled.
I would like to see Miller sit on these unless he is going to bring in some transfers that are not going to be eligible until the 2021-22 season.
Just a heads up, we have only one more available scholarship this year, two opening up with Brown and Lee graduating, so we will have 3 scholarships in 2021-22 unless someone else leaves

mvpreed2

Quote from: UAlum on April 28, 2020, 04:22:09 PM
Quote from: mvpreed2 on April 28, 2020, 02:10:21 PM
Just a heads up, we have only one more available scholarship this year, two opening up with Brown and Lee graduating, so we will have 3 scholarships in 2021-22 unless someone else leaves
You are right.
There are only 12 scholarship players.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

I'm assuming that the staff will go hard after a true PG and a PF.

The PF should earn significant playing time but the PG will hopefully be a project because we have a lot of upperclassmen combo guards that can handle the ball.

Johnny-bravo

I say use the scholarship.  We always have multiple players leave before their eligibility is up.

mvpreed2

Quote from: KansasCityCats on April 28, 2020, 06:12:07 PM

The PF should earn significant playing time but the PG will hopefully be a project because we have a lot of upperclassmen combo guards that can handle the ball.
I do believe we need to get back to recruiting true positions, but we do have to get a PF in 2021.
Yes Brown can play PF, but I do believe he could also play C.

I think the PG is going to be buried on the depth chart.
We have about 2-3 bodies that are going to be able to get PG minutes in Akinjo/Baker and then the freshman turned sophomore in Kriisa?

I know that they do not grow on trees, but trying to find a point-forward in 2021 would be nice if Miller is going to be pushing this whole "position-less basketball" to allow the guards to get a chance to run the lanes and have someone create for them.
I don't know nothing though, I am just a man that loves hoop and works for FedEx.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

something1

Quote from: mvpreed2 on April 28, 2020, 07:10:22 PM

I do believe we need to get back to recruiting true positions, but we do have to get a PF in 2021.

We have about 2-3 bodies that are going to be able to get PG minutes in Akinjo/Baker and then the freshman turned sophomore in Kriisa?

I know that they do not grow on trees, but trying to find a point-forward in 2021 would be nice if Miller is going to be pushing this whole "position-less basketball" to allow the guards to get a chance to run the lanes and have someone create for them.
I don't know nothing though, I am just a man that loves hoop and works for FedEx.

Wasn't Batcho more of a pure PF before he grew 2in in the last year? I agree though on the PF need, especially someone that can knock down shots from the elbow as a zone buster.

mvpreed2

Quote from: something1 on April 28, 2020, 07:29:07 PM
Quote from: mvpreed2 on April 28, 2020, 07:10:22 PM

Wasn't Batcho more of a pure PF before he grew 2in in the last year? I agree though on the PF need, especially someone that can knock down shots from the elbow as a zone buster.
I do not believe we are going to need a PF to fill that role in the immediate future.
Gorener is going to be a more athletic version of Gettings in that role.
Both of them are 6'8 shooters, but I believe Gorener is going to be more like Hollis-Jefferson in someone that can get it off the rim and take it baseline to baseline and be able to create/shoot/finish on his own.
I honestly believe that Miller is going to put this kid in as a "small ball PF" which is term I hate to use as such a traditionalist...
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

ChrisZona

Unless there's an immediate impact guy left on the board I'd save it our roster is set IMO. As far as scholarships for 2021-22 we are probably going to have a lot more available when the time comes. Considering no one stands out as a sure-fire NBA prospect our top rotation guys are likely going to be back and we are probably going to be looking at multiple transfers for the guys warming the bench. We'll have normal attrition from a numbers stand point it just won't be from our key guys.

Little George

We have a solid group right now.

Grad transfer, or 1nD maybe, but saving it for next year that way is the best option. Letting a walk on have a one year scholie.

2021 class is solid. Only 2 sure scholies available. This makes 3.

UAlum

Quote from: ChrisZona on April 29, 2020, 12:09:00 AM
Unless there's an immediate impact guy left on the board I'd save it our roster is set IMO. As far as scholarships for 2021-22 we are probably going to have a lot more available when the time comes. Considering no one stands out as a sure-fire NBA prospect our top rotation guys are likely going to be back and we are probably going to be looking at multiple transfers for the guys warming the bench. We'll have normal attrition from a numbers stand point it just won't be from our key guys.

I don't know about this take. I could be being naive but I'm not sure anyone immediately jumps off the page as a transfer situation (obviously plenty of time for things to change)

Akinjo - can't imagine he will transfer again after already transferring
Baker - see Akinjo
Brown - see Akinjo
Williams - if he is healthy he is gonna play and thrive. Arizona stuck with him thru this all so far
Koloko - MAYBE if somehow he isn't given the minutes he deserves he could transfer?
Kriisa / Gorener / Batcho / Mathurin - all seem to be clear it multi-year guys and know it. I guess maybe Batcho or Gorener only get spot minutes and decide to just go overseas and play professionally instead of sticking it out?

Hoping all these guys are back in 2021-22

mvpreed2

I cannot see a situation where Koloko is not given more minutes in 2020-21.
He had a clear reason why he wasn't getting minutes because of emergence of Nnaji, and the seniority of Gettings/Jeter.

You look at our roster right now, I don't see a reason why Koloko cannot START when being put up against Brown at one F spot, and who else is literally going to push/beat Koloko out of that spot?
Unless you are going to throw in Gorener in at "PF", then you push Brown to C; but there isn't someone that I can honestly say that will push/beat him out.
Lee is going to be best coming off of the bench; so Batcho/Gorener are the two that I am looking at, but I still see him getting more minutes because Miller is always willing to give the returners more minutes.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

KansasCityCats

I wouldn't be surprised if Brown/Lee both started in the frontcourt. Koloko will get plenty of minutes, especially if he worked on his shot this offseason.

That 3-man rotation will be heavy because we don't have a lot of size returning

ichi

Quote from: UAlum on April 29, 2020, 10:53:47 AM

Koloko - MAYBE if somehow he isn't given the minutes he deserves he could transfer?

He'll get his fill of playing time, CSM will use him a lot, plus with him coming from another continent I can't imagine he'd want to pick up and start over again somewhere else. 

not likely to transfer (along with BW, Lee, and the already-transfers)

plus I get the feels he digs it here
"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat

mvpreed2

Quote from: KansasCityCats on April 29, 2020, 12:50:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Brown/Lee both started in the frontcourt. Koloko will get plenty of minutes, especially if he worked on his shot this offseason.

That 3-man rotation will be heavy because we don't have a lot of size returning
I would not be surprised either, but I REALLY do not want to see Lee as a starter.
Lee is a spark plug coming off the bench, and with him being a starter, we lose that impact.
I hope Miller is able to see that and not simply plug and replace because Lee is the next guy up to start.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

Eurozona

I don't think we need another body unless that player is better than what we already have. We have no idea how the minutes will be distributed in the front-court, because we have no idea how good any of these guys are. How much Koloko and Lee improve will drive Millers decision. I think Koloko is still a year away offensively. Botcho looks like the type of player Miller likes. The most attractive lineup includes Brown at PF and Koloko at C. It would be very difficult getting a quality shot over that length. My guess, knowing Miller, these guys will rotate so often, they will never get a chance to settle in.

Jdmarti

We should have a for sure 3 scholarships for 2021/2022 season unless Miller uses  the last one one this year which sounds possible because zn was saying Arizona  looking to add another international big that could only be here one year which would still free up that scholarship if he came here  he said he was to good of a talent to not bring in  but if he did  come an only play one 1 we would have 3 scholarships  I would guess that  another 2 open up by somebody transfering  maybe 2  or 1 or 2 guys leave for pro ball I could   jordon brown if he had a big year  him leaving i imagine he probably  thought he was  probably  a 1 year player an  then stuck behind veterans an Nevada an did not play much  an you have b.will who no dought wants to make it to the nba  if his knee held up an he had a good year I think he leaves  an he probably  should should at that point  maybe international  players one of them or two of them decide to play pro in country  thats always a possibility  so Miller should still end up with plenty of scholarships  in 2021.

Jdmarti

As far as the team goes  I am looking forward to this team  Miller putting this puzzle together alot of new players a new team  again not much returning  one concern I have is I am not sure who will score the ball I think akinjo  will  have that ability an b.will are the 2 guys I know can score double figures other than that guys will have to prove themselves going back to   akinjo  will he available  the beginning of season  will b.will be ready will his minutes be limited  those are all questions I am interested  to see how it plays out  I think Arizona  needs jordon brown to be a star.

ichi

Wildcats will have to figure out a bunch of stuff with this team

chemistry - throwing lots of pieces together for the first time, can Lee be a senior leader who drives his teammates on to the next level or will he drive someone away?  will Akinjo fit in and share?  who's going to be a Barcello and who's going to be a Nnaji?

PT distribution - who will rise and who will sit?  how will we deal with injuries/suspensions?

BW - hope he's OK and back to play

Koloko - has the fire, can he bulk up his size and hoops IQ?

transfers - any Stones in this group? someone who can be 'Arizona Good'

Staff - how will our new assistant fit in?  will he mesh with CSM and can he help with the chemistry?

Miller - will he adapt? can he? can he continue to handle the intense pressure from the fans to win while dealing with allegations and investigations?

and then there's the real big questions

what will college hoops look like next year?  will the stands be packed and this virus event be behind us?  will the PAC be more like 2018 or 2019?  how will the current restrictions affect the team-building process when we have so many moving parts coming together for the first time?  what will happen with the NCAA investigation into Book?  will BSPN continue to post shit allegation articles?  what's going on behind the scene at UofA admin and athletic department?

I know a few guys in here have all of the answers, I can't wait to see how it all plays out

BEAR DOWN ARIZONA

"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat

Jdmarti

An if Arizona  is still trying to  bring in  another big  that is foreign  zn said he is to good of a talent to pass up an could only be here 1 year   that would beef this lineup even more plus the only negative  is  if Arizona  gets him  an he is that good  he may be a starter  I think jordon brown starts  Miller will only play 4 bigs most likely that means  the 5th  big is a bench wormer  would hope it does not push anyone to transfer  or IRA to leave   I have no knowledge  of any of this just speculation  if they were to land this guy if he is that good I hope Arizona  lands him because Arizona  needs the talent.

mvpreed2

Quote from: Jdmarti on May 05, 2020, 03:09:58 PM
An if Arizona  is still trying to  bring in  another big  that is foreign  zn said he is to good of a talent to pass up an could only be here 1 year   that would beef this lineup even more plus the only negative  is  if Arizona  gets him  an he is that good  he may be a starter  I think jordon brown starts  Miller will only play 4 bigs most likely that means  the 5th  big is a bench wormer  would hope it does not push anyone to transfer  or IRA to leave   I have no knowledge  of any of this just speculation  if they were to land this guy if he is that good I hope Arizona  lands him because Arizona  needs the talent.
Who exactly are you talking about?
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

WerderBremen

WerderBremen

That Bettini dude seemed to know about Kerr and Batcho. So maybe...

WerderBremen

Jdmarti

Batcho an diabete are friends  I think diabete  is staying in 2021 class though.

WILD

WerderBremen

I am guessing not a coincidence  ;)

Another issue is the fact that Miller mentioned 1-2 more players. If he was talking about this year's team then obviously we would have one too many which makes me worry about BW again....

Jdmarti

Defently   does not sound good for  b.will  to bad he has alot of talent he may have to retire.

WerderBremen

Welcome Tubelis twins.  :) :) :) :)

Goodbye b will  :-[

Jdmarti

I would have loved to see b.will at Arizona  this coming year. it's just  not going to happen.

WerderBremen

I am thinking Akinjo, A. Tubelis and Jordan Brown are pretty much safe bets for the starting five.

The remaining 2 will be picked from this group of five: Brown, Baker, Terry, Mathurin and Kerr.

Concerns at the moment: shooting, youth, strengths, travel restrictions.

Little George

Day1 CSM will go with known players.

Brown, Lee, Baker, Brown, Akinjo. Expect Koloko, Tubelis, Mathurin, Terry to get time.
Now, if something weird happens and Akinjo has to sit out a semester then look at Brown to play PG with Baker at the 2 and either Mathurin or Terry to start at the 3?

By conference play this could all change.

ChrisZona

IMO the only locks are James Akinjo whenever he becomes available. He's the only proven player on the roster having produced in the Big East and all. And I think the new kid Azuolas Tubelis probably starts I think he's the most well-rounded big on the roster and could potentially play from the 3 to 5. Early on I'd expect guys like Lee, Baker, and Terrell Brown to get a lot minutes but I think we are going to need some of these younger guys to take over to reach our potential. Could be the first time in a long time we could be bringing back 4-5 starters from a tournament team.

BDU Recent Topics

BearDownU - Menu