Adia Barnes gets a BIG raise! 5 years 5.85M!!

Started by WILD, May 04, 2021, 12:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

Adia Barnes has agreed to a new 5 year 5.85M contract!

This comes after Baylor head coaching position opened up and it was rumored they were interested in luring Barnes away from Arizona.

"As this past season made perfectly clear, Arizona Women's Basketball has joined the nation's elite under Coach Barnes' leadership and will remain there for a long time to come," said Vice President and Director of Athletics Dave Heeke. "This new contract demonstrates our continued commitment to our women's basketball program, and to Adia, who has revitalized our program and brought the excitement and energy to a whole new level. We are thrilled that she will be with us for years to come, and we have no doubt that the young women in her program will continue to proudly represent our university, athletics department and community."

https://twitter.com/ArizonaWBB/status/1389656250271428609

"I want to thank President Robbins, Athletics Director Dave Heeke and the senior executive staff for their commitment and support of Arizona Women's Basketball," Barnes said. "It means the world to me that they trust me to lead this incredible program and are invested in our success. I am honored to coach at my alma mater and represent Tucson, a city where it all began for me. This contract is a commitment to our sport, Arizona Women's Basketball, and this University. It is my responsibility to honor that commitment with a relentless pursuit of a national championship, and I can't wait until we pack McKale again with the best fans in the country."

Congrats to coach Barnes and Beardown!!!

Deb

Congrats to Adia!

Like Lute, she got a Final Four at AZ within 5 yrs.

Gotta keep her.

KansasCityCats

She'll be around when I retire in 20 years.  Season tickets for the 2041-42 season!

Well deserved raise.  Adia proved that she's all-in for her Cats.

Little George

jgorski02

Did Coach Barnes have any interest in the Baylor position or was it like a Mussleman situation with our men's program?

Aokay

Compliments of the men's football and basketball programs, spank you very much.

KansasCityCats

Quote from: Aokay on May 06, 2021, 03:02:59 PM

In 2019, the Arizona Women brought an average of 5,944 fans per game.  That's more than Cal, Oregon St., USC and Wazzu's MEN'S TEAMS. 

If the pandemic hadn't hit, those numbers would have drastically increased in 2020.  Adia isn't completely riding the coat-tails of the men's programs.

Aokay

Quote from: KansasCityCats on May 06, 2021, 03:14:25 PM
Quote from: Aokay on May 06, 2021, 03:02:59 PM

In 2019, the Arizona Women brought an average of 5,944 fans per game.  That's more than Cal, Oregon St., USC and Wazzu's MEN'S TEAMS. 

If the pandemic hadn't hit, those numbers would have drastically increased in 2020.  Adia isn't completely riding the coat-tails of the men's programs.

If ticket prices were comparable to the men's, and if she brought in 10k per game, she wouldn't be riding coattails. Buuuuuttttt women's ticket prices are far lower, which means she would need to fill twice as many seats as there are available, or more. The facts surrounding costs don't lie -- women's hoops is, and always will be a financial drain. Should the day come when basketball fans are willing to part with big bucks to watch the young women play, what I just said will be proven to be incorrect. I'm 71, I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

BearDownU - Menu