UofA 🏀 may have an issue getting international athletes to US

Started by WILD, July 06, 2020, 11:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

This is the latest news from ICE . Hopefully they'll make exceptions for college athletes.

If international students already in the U.S. don't transfer to a school offering on-campus instruction or leave on their own, an ICE news release said "they may face immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings."

https://twitter.com/MichaelJLev/status/1280351113879805954

KansasCityCats

I'm going to assume that an exception is made for student athletes that have been requested to physically attend campus.

But again...it's ICE

ichi

imagine being 18 looking for a career in hoops taking the huge step to leave home and play in America, but no one is sure if you can get into the country or what the season might look like

this is just the beginning, gonna be interesting, I still think there's a chance the whole thing is shuttered, since October is the earliest predicted peak date, and college presidents aren't known for their risk-taking
"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat

WILD

The good news is that as of right now the UofA is not planning on going online only and this only applies to colleges going the online only route.

Johnny-bravo

"Only" is the out clause.  Any school worth it's salt could modify its policies to safely allow some in person Educational  activities to avoid this result.

AztecWildcat

How the F does ICE plan on enforcing this? They gonna show up to school and take attendance?

Jav

I don't see anyone from out of state wanting to willingly come to Arizona right now.

Eurozona

This is a nothing burger. Just sports media looking for a story.

BDU Recent Topics

BearDownU - Menu