Arizona collapses losses 3rd straight game to UCLA 69-64

Started by WILD, March 01, 2020, 02:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WILD

Arizona collapses losses 3rd straight game to UCLA 69-64 

Leap Day only happens once every four years, so it's fair to say things that happen on Feb. 29 are rarities.

Yet on the night of Sean Miller's first career ejection, most of the other things the Arizona Wildcats did were far too familiar.

The Wildcats scored two points in the final 3:44, turning it over on three straight possessions at one point, as the UCLA Bruins used a late 10-0 run to win 69-64 on Saturday night in Los Angeles.

Arizona (19-10, 9-7 Pac-12) lost its third straight game and got swept on the LA trip for the fifth time in the Miller era, more than on any other trip, and now is in serious jeopardy of missing out on a first-round bye in...

Read the rest of the game story below
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/2020/2/29/21159789/arizona-ucla-basketball-final-score-recap-wildcats-bruins-highlights-reaction-takeaways-pac12

Watch player interviews and highlights of Arizona's win ⤵️
https://playersprogramu.com/index.php?board=2.0

Full Game stats

Eurozona

I am sure the team would like a bye, but frankly we need the extra win to pad our record. Our resume needs it. Best case we finish regular season 21-10 (11-7) and will be dealt 1 more loss in the PAC tourney.
As it relates to the game, Arizona outplayed UCLA for 38 minutes only to hand them the game in the end. This will be the only time I rag on the officiating. That game should have been out of UCLA's reach by the time we had those 3 strait turnovers. These PAC 12 refs search for fouls to call, rather than just waiting for a definite foul to happen. It's sad and it is starting to decide games. Not to mention it hurts the teams playing in the Tourney.

Jdmarti

Refs did a poor job UCLA obviously won from 19 extra points  at line  an 3 straight turnovers from  different players that killed the game Arizona.

Jdmarti

Colarodo  lost an usc has to play ucla so if UCLA wins an Arizona  beats Washington schools Arizona would finish in top 4 spots .

Jdmarti

This has truly been a frustrating season  a strange team a I cant remember a Arizona  team  coached Miller that could not close games out when they  had the lead the last few minutes   these guys buckle under pressure the easiest thing would be to blame it on  youth but none of those freshman  turned the ball over at the end the 3 consecutive turnovers  were seniors   that should do a better job up to this season has really been a dissapointment. The only save it is by  is for them to win last to games win pac 12 tourney or win some games in tourney  an have a deep run in ncaa tournament  which unless they figure how to win close games  without turnovers missed free throws not rebounding  the craziest thing about the three turnovers were they  were not forced by UCLA.

arxpert

Feels like the NCAA is just trying to get back at Arizona this year any way they can. The team / players have to do their part though. Kansas is spitting in the face of the NCAA treatment with actually hitting their jumpers. We should try to follow suit.

TJ74

On 12/1 we were 9-0 feasting on mostly cupcakes.  Since then as the competition got real we are 10-10.  This team is way more frustrating to watch than last year's team.  We had low expectation last year.  This year we had much higher expectation.  But for many different reason this team has not delivered on those expectations.  Some of the reason are 3 pt shooting; FT shooting in critical situation; lack of really strong leadership on the floor; shot selection; lack of effort in a couple of games; really poor management of the end of the half and the end of the game (how many games did we lose when we had a lead in the last 2 to 3 minutes); and finally poor coaching.

Yes we should win the remaining home games against the bottom of the leaque.  Probably won't get a bye into the Pac 12 tournament.  I think we will win our first game and then lose the next one.  More than likely an 8 or 9 seed.  We have not beaten a good team since 12/1 - why would we expect a better seed.  Again I think we win the first game but don't make it through the first weekend of the tournament.

It is past time to look at our overall performance over the past 3 or 4 years and decide what is wrong.  If we stick with Miller ( he is not going to leave with the NCAA cloud hanging over his head), we should demand a significant upgrade in his assistant coaches.  Murphy as the assistant HC does not cut it (he did not win at NAU). 

I hope I am wrong about my prognosis for the rest of the season but nothing that has happen since 12/1 makes me think I am incorrect.

ichi

My expectation coming into this season was that we would finish fourth, I think in one post I said it was possible for us to finish 9-9 or as high as 13-5, since we were depending on freshmen and grad transfers and leftovers from a team that didn't fare well last year

I expect Oregon to win out but I think UCLA has the tiebreaker if they both finish 13-5

ASU will finish third unless they fail badly against the Washington schools

We win out we'll finish fourth, expect Colorado to beat Utah but maybe not, even if they do we have the tiebreaker if we finish same as CU

We'll probably get CU in the Thursday game if we finish fourth and get a bye, if we finish 5th we'll get Washington first then CU, we can win those, but then the hill gets steep fast if we have to play the #1 seed, UCLA or ASU will be tough too if we don't figure out some shit quick

The chalk prediction would be for us to finish 11-7 for a fourth place finish, win 1 then lose 1, that will get us a 7 seed, probably play the first round way far away from McKale against a 10 seed mid-major then a 2 seed, again that would be rough unless we get better before then

Bear Down

"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat

BearDownU - Menu