Previous topic - Next topic

arxpert

Quote from: UAlum on March 17, 2020, 10:43:21 AM
Quote from: arxpert on March 17, 2020, 12:04:08 AM
In the normal universe it feels like the roster will look something like

Akinjo, B Will, Dalen, Ira, Jordan Brown
Baker, Koloko, Mathurian?

I wonder if Mathurian is sort of like an Akot " :-\\  "

We really could use at least 1 of Walton/Zhaire.

No coach would be able to do too much with this scenario unfortunately if we can't land another chip.
Just a heads up Bennedict Mathurin has been impressing a lot of people and sounds like he is a legit prospect.

That's great! Miller found 3 star Koloko who looks to be the type who will dominate the college scene with some more seasoning over these next 3 years. Hopefully Benny Math keeps his upward trajectory!

Little George

Yes, remember CSM built success from blue collar type players and yet has struggled a lot with big time players. Lute did the same thing in many aspects. Many first round losses. Problems with players that thought they were too good to be coached. Lute made many adjustments along the way. CSM will have to adjust to find real success. Some here are calling for more 3 and 4 year players. I would argue for the 5 year players that are willing to spend time learning and getting their degrees while doing it. Edgerson is a guy that I still think very highly of. Loved his effort and energy.

TennesseeCat36

We have a Edgerson type... his name is Ira Lee. We need more shooters and scorers. Lee won't even start as a senior. I love his energy and passion but I don't want him shooting free throws in a close game late and he's not going to get you 20 pts

mvpreed2

Quote from: Little George on March 17, 2020, 04:47:43 PMSome here are calling for more 3 and 4 year players. I would argue for the 5 year players that are willing to spend time learning and getting their degrees while doing it.
I am more in favor of the 3-4 year players, then you can add an elite freshmen that can put us over the top when surrounded by experienced, veterans that have been in the system long enough to just let the HS kid play his game.

Aaron Gordon and Stanley Johnson are two examples of what I am referring to.
They came in and were surrounded by so much talent/experience and role players, CSM allowed them to play their game and make mistakes as the season went on.
This Duke/Kentucky thing that Miller is trying to do has proven is not going to work here at Arizona.
I commend him for trying, but the blueprint he used from the 2011-2014 recruiting classes are what I would like to see.
It was in 2015 when we signed that class headlined by Trier that you could see Miller trying to tweak the blueprint.
4-11-2011
9-14-2012
2-19-2013
7-29-2014

arxpert

Guys like Solomon Hill, Derrick Williams, Brandon Ashley, RHJ, Trier, Rawle, etc could have all went pro after their first year's with Miller. They all stayed and it helped create a "core" like what was mentioned above where adding Aaron Gordon or Stan Johnson helped the "Team" get to the Elite 8 and such.

This was something that was brewing again when Lauri, Trier, Rawle came in surrounded with Deuce Ristic, PJC and such. Then Ayton was brought in. The PEDs with Trier, Injury to Rawle, and FBI stuff really derailed that next wave of a TJ, RHJ, Brandon Ashley, Gordon/Stan, Zews type Core Run.

The fallout came hard. It took Miller 1 year to get his greatest class ever in Nico, Green, Zeke, and Terry Armstrong. First Terry doesn't qualify (much like long forgotten Terrence Ferguson), then Brandon Williams goes down injured again. More happenstance. More circumstance. Miller makes his plans. He then has to adjust with not much time.

The result is a season where we were a couple horrible calls and missed Free Throws away from another Pac12 title and a whole bunch of "what coulda been that we will never truly know" with a team that looked locked in vs a heavy talented Washington squad in a bad blood game in Vegas.

I will admit there has been a lot of heartbreaking losses. A few buckets away from 3 final 4s. Being an Arizona Basketball fan has been tough ever since Lute Olson lost the ~15pt lead with ~3:30 to go vs Deron Williams and Illinois back in 2005. This really is just a lot of bad luck. A lot of legendary performances by opponents. A lot of GOOD coaching from Miller that just looks bad because its easier to remember losses than wins. Almost every "down year" people mention have either a Pac12 championship banner hanging or Pac12 tourney champ banner.. OR BOTH. Some comics would call this a "tough crowd".

Very much like a gambling mentality where you tend to remember losing in tough spots like "bad beats in poker" much more than the times you get lucky and win on the river here and there, but its not winning the MegaBucks Jackpot.

KansasCityCats

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28926661/freshman-dj-carton-transferring-ohio-state

I really hope Arizona makes a run at Carton.  Not sure of the specifics of the transfer, but Archie recruited him hard and the kid has a ton of potential.

Jdmarti

Lots transfers to follow  there is also burton from witchta st. An Nate johnson I think Miller needs to 3 point shooting an a player or two that can score on the perimeter.

Jdmarti

An a big that can replace zeke probaley a grad transfer  it will be  hopefully kinda like stone gettings  who can space the court  who is good in the zone.

Jdmarti

Arizona  will need alot of players atleast 7 will be gone along dds scholarship.

Jdmarti

Sean miller reached out to trey wertz  a grad transfer  from santa Clara.

BDU Recent Topics

BearDownU - Menu