If not Miller, then who?

Started by 2012Cat, January 13, 2020, 07:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2012Cat

I see a lot of criticism of Miller in here, and it's well deserved. One thing I've struggled with is even with Millers struggles, who could we realistically replace him with that would be an upgrade?

Everyone remembers the Tim Floyd debacle, and even UCLA's two recent coaching searches proved the program doesn't hold the weight it once did and that the fans think it should.

The facts are we can't afford to pay the same as many other schools, SM is the 30th highest paid coach. The pac-12 conference is not as competitive as other power 5 and Larry Scott is running it into the ground, national exposure is not as good, harder to recruit to AZ than other blue bloods , and who they he'll would want to work for heeke. There are many positives too, but I'm just saying look at the whole picture.

For me, I'd go after Greg a Marshall, Chris Beard first but that's a long shot. After that I'd look at Bruce Pearl or Damon stoudemire. Don't really think Damon has proven himself yet, and not a fan of hiring alumni just because they're alumni but he's the best option of all alumni

Who would you guys target?

ChrisZona

Unfortunately I think Chris Beard is a lifer at Tech. Has coached there under Bob Knight and has family there as well. Greg Marshall seems like the easy choice but I'd be a bit hesitant hiring another big name mid major coach especially after guys like Shaka, Archie, Dan Hurley and recently Sean Miller have flamed out in their respective P6 jobs. I guess considering the athletic department has backed a known cheater over the past couple of years we could go all out and land the best cheater in the game in Rick Pitino or even go after Bruce Pearl but I wouldn't hold my breath for neither.

But realistically I think the biggest name we could attract and probably the safest bet would be Matt Painter (49 years). In 14 seasons at Purdue he's won 3 Big 10 championships and made the tournament 11 times (78%) including 5 sweet sixteens and last year's elite 8. His postseason success isn't great and he's struggled to recruit at Purdue. But recruiting at Arizona would make it easier plus he's always been the guy to do more with less.

Then you got Lavall Jordan at Butler who he currently has ranked in the top 5 and in contention for a 1 seed. His body of work is limited but after this year no doubt he's going to be in high demand plus he's only 40 years old.

The biggest wildcard and my personal choice would be Tommy Lloyd (45 years) Mark Few's top man at Gonzaga. He's been under Few for almost 20 years and has been their top international recruiter during that time. Plus no doubt he's key to their top flight player development which in my opinion is the best in the country.

Other names: Drew Scott, Randy Bennett, Brian Dutcher

arxpert

There aren't any upgrades overall, but one thing to consider is someone would want to have to come to an Arizona team that would likely see Dalen Terry decommit, maybe even Akinjo, and also maybe witness some transferring of what we have. Overall a full rebuild with basically nothing. Not sure how many times someone can sit out, but B Will cannot be depended on physically. Jordan Brown, Baker probably wanted to play for Miller. So I don't really know what would happen if a coaching change were to be made in this particular year in this particular situation. This is not even taking FBI/sanctions into account. It might be way too much for someone decent to be interested in right now. Maybe if Miller was extended for a short period of time and judged on performance (just enough to pass by the sanction stuff if it ever comes). But I don't see a need for a change. I'd rather stay true and if Miller will stay with us it could get really interesting in the long run when 1 and Done stuff is over with and he can build a longer lasting team again like with Momo/Derrick/Sol  -  Zews/Bash/RHJ/TJ etc inserting 1 Gordon/Stanley/Ayton per year to a core.

KansasCityCats

Good post.  I think it would be difficult to replace Miller, unless we pulled in a guy like Luke Walton.

Gregg Marshall is terrible with the media.  He keeps to himself & the city of Tucson would not embrace him.
Chris Beard asks his players to play tough D.  He won't be bringing in 5* talent, but he would absolutely win.  It would also cost a fortune to lure him.
Bruce Pearl would be amazing, but it would just bring back the reputation of "cheating".  The NCAA hates him, but at least ESPN loves him.
Mark Few is never leaving.  The guy is a legend.

There aren't many other guys out there worth pursuing, that will keep us relevant on a regular basis.  Although Miller isn't hanging Final Four banners, he has rebuilt the program that almost died during the stroke/interim transition.

For me, Luke is the only target...until TJ retires and returns to our bench.

something1

I've been thinking about this subject more and have mostly concluded that a change would only happen in the event of a significant NCAA action.

The issue is obviously complex and we're all just fans, but...
1. The question posed on "if not Miller, then who?" raises the interesting prospect of whom is even available realistically that would want to step into the program at this time. It's not a coveted blue blood, there is a potential for NCAA action, and the fan base can be rabid (FF or bust!).
2. Of some of the names that typically get thrown about, the best of them are in situations that are superior to coming to Arizona (i.e. Few being able to hang in a crappier conference and make the tourney annually with little stress). I could potentially see a rising star mid-major coach that would take the position, but I don't personally know that could possibly be.
3. Would that rising star be better than the record Miller has put together? Very hard to concretely say yes. The expected 10 year tenure was supposed to have a rockier start and a better finish, but the record is actually pretty good. Of course we want titles and FFs; if that's the only knock, a wrong call would have shut that argument down.
4. Would Miller willingly leave? Outside of pure frustration, I don't think so -- this is the major point I've been thinking about the most. There was a time when Miller might have left for that coveted east coast position, but in today's climate I don't think he'd be the pick anymore...and would he really leave for a lower paying job at a lesser known school? No.

If you want Miller gone, I think the only way I see it happening is via pure disaster (NCAA action or a complete collapse of the team). I don't want to see either of those scenarios, and the rebuild to towards relevance would take probably 5-10 years. Personally, I'd rather ride it out with an under-performance here and there...but I want Miller to do a better job of bringing in Xs and Os coaches to go along with his recruiting ability.

Just my 2 cents; I appreciate reading everyone else's, whether we agree or not.

KansasCityCats

The alumni would start to grumble if the team plays down to its opponents throughout the rest of the season (like the OSU game).

I personally think that performance was a fluke and Miller's job won't be discussed for the remainder of the year because the Cats will make a nice run.

We're finally getting healthy and we have the depth to win. Since the PAC-12 is beating itself up, we still have a good chance to win the conference.

ichi

what if they grafted Lute's head to Luke's body?

cause that makes about as much sense as replacing CSM for losing after going to the buzzer in OT at Corvallis in the (so far) best game ofthe year
"Firing Sean Miller was just the spark this team needed." - CactusCat

2012Cat

I think this fan base has been extremely patient and loyal to Miller throughout the last few years of disappointment and scandal, which is why the frustration is mounting.

Personally I think the entire fbi issue has shook miller. His teams just up to that point played hard, had an edge, and he held them to that. That was always his coaching strength and it helped mask his in-game coaching issues. Since then it seems he has struggled to create accountability, teamwork, and a team identity each year. Maybe it's the guys he's brought in, maybe it's his own issues. Either way it's on him.

I hadn't thought of lavall Jordan, but he's worth a look as well should something happen.  I also don't think Luke Walton is a solution, he really hasn't proven anything since leaving Steve Kerr, and I always stuggle with NBA guys as recruiting is a grind. Is he really going to want to do that?

OGWildcatMike

Basketcats

Sorry but any coach with NBA coaching experience should be automatically disqualified. Bringing one in is just asking for more trouble.

BDU Recent Topics

BearDownU - Menu